Linked Data API

Show Search Form

Search Results

registered interest false more like this
date remove filter
answering body
Department for Education more like this
answering dept id 60 more like this
answering dept short name Education more like this
answering dept sort name Education more like this
hansard heading Universities more like this
house id 2 more like this
pref label House of Lords remove filter
question text To ask Her Majesty's Government what provision universities are required to make for students who need to repeat a year or pause their studies due to (1) ill health, (2) having caring responsibilities, and (3) a pregnancy; and to what extent the Department for Education expects universities to make equal provision for such students in cases where the university concerned decided to close down a department part of the way through the degree course for any student concerned. more like this
tabling member printed
Lord Alton of Liverpool more like this
uin HL486 more like this
is ministerial correction false more like this
date of answer less than 2019-11-05more like thismore than 2019-11-05
answer text <p>The Office for Students (OfS) is responsible for safeguarding standards within the sector. It ensures that the Department for Education works collaboratively with the sector to make sure that it acts in the best interests of students. The regulatory framework is designed to ensure that higher education providers are: providing value for money for students; are taking action to improve access and participation; and they have student protection plans in place in case of any market failure.</p><p>My right hon. Friend, the Secretary of State for Education’s guidance to the OfS sets out that student interests should be central to the mission of the OfS and that the OfS should promote a positive higher education experience.</p><p>In relation to the student experience, the government has asked the OfS to promote providers’ active engagement with the welfare and wellbeing of students and in particular encourages measures to support student mental health.</p><p>Undergraduate students who are required to repeat a year of study on their course due to compelling personal reasons (e.g. illness, ill health or pregnancy) can apply for an additional year of tuition fee loan and living costs support from Student Finance England for their repeat year of study.</p><p>Undergraduate students who suspend their studies due to illness, caring responsibilities or pregnancy can apply to Student Finance England to continue paying their living costs support during their period of absence.</p>
answering member printed Baroness Berridge remove filter
question first answered
less than 2019-11-05T14:42:41.587Zmore like thismore than 2019-11-05T14:42:41.587Z
answering member
label Biography information for Baroness Berridge more like this
tabling member
label Biography information for Lord Alton of Liverpool more like this