Linked Data API

Show Search Form

Search Results

registered interest false remove filter
date less than 2018-11-05more like thismore than 2018-11-05
answering body
Department for Work and Pensions more like this
answering dept id 29 more like this
answering dept short name Work and Pensions more like this
answering dept sort name Work and Pensions more like this
hansard heading Universal Credit: Separation more like this
house id 1 more like this
pref label House of Commons more like this
question text To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, whether her Department take steps to ensures that the remaining claimant of universal credit is not held fully responsible for unpaid advance payments when a couple separates. more like this
tabling member constituency Hemsworth more like this
tabling member printed
Jon Trickett more like this
uin 188014 more like this
is ministerial correction false more like this
date of answer less than 2018-11-16more like thismore than 2018-11-16
answer text <p>When a couple separates and still require the support of Universal Credit they will claim separately and as such the two claimants will be treated as entirely separate claims and will have their entitlements and therefore award amounts treated accordingly.</p><p> </p><p>If an advance has been awarded to a couple and the couple subsequently separate, they will be equally liable to repay the advance.</p><p> </p><p>When a couple separates, and an advance has not been recovered from the associated benefit claim because the claim ends or there was no entitlement to that benefit, the outstanding balance is treated as if it were an overpayment. This would then be recoverable (as per Section 71 of the Social Security Administration Act 1992) at the standard overpayment rate.</p><p><strong> </strong></p><p>After separation, if a couple have an overpayment for which they are both equally liable, the debt is apportioned equally. Once this apportionment has been done we will not reverse the split liability decision. Any debt for which only one member of a couple is liable will follow that person on separation.</p>
answering member constituency Reading West more like this
answering member printed Alok Sharma more like this
grouped question UIN
188012 more like this
188013 more like this
question first answered
remove filter
answering member
label Biography information for Alok Sharma more like this
tabling member
label Biography information for Jon Trickett more like this